82 Derwin Williams WR
Height: 6’1 Weight: 185
Acquired: 1984 (192nd)
School: New Mexico
Major: Physical Education
Born: May 6, 1961 Brownwood TX
- Another in a long list of solid wide receivers for the Patriots
- Selected in the seventh round of the 1984 NFL draft by the Patriots (192nd overall).
- Games Played/Started: Total: 32/1.
- Derwin Williams was drafted in the seventh round in 1984 by the New England Patriots after playing his college football at The University of New Mexico. He was also sought out by the Cincinnati Reds as a centerfielder
- Chose football and to this day, football is his career.
- His playing days ended in 1987, but Derwin has kept involved in the game as an official, now going into his 14th year.
- He’s currently refereeing games for Conference USA. When he has a Saturday off, he’ll work for the ECAC Boston chapter of college officials were he first started officiating, or work a local high school game as a way to stay sharp.
- When Derwin works for Conference USA he is a Field Judge. His years as a wide receiver playing at the highest level gives him a sound understanding of what goes on back there and what could go on
- “I know just about all the tricks,” he says.
Derwin is completely devoted to his current profession.
- He considers himself an ongoing student of the game and his goal is to take his officiating to the highest level — the NFL.
- But even NFL officials can only consider that part of their life “part-time” and hold other jobs. In Derwin’s case, he is the Loss Prevention Supervisor for CVS Distribution Center, headquartered in Rhode Island.
- In addition, he is married to Colleen and they have two sons Mason, and Kobe.