Height: 6’0 Weight: 185
Pro Bowl: 1 -1981
Acquired: FA, 1974
School: Southampton (England) 10th year
Born: Dec 30, 1949 Leafield, England
- Signed a free-agent contract with New England in 1973. Was traded to Pittsburgh, had his contract waived, and eventually returned to the Patriots
- As a rookie in 1974, Smith scored 90 points to finish as runner-up to AFC kicker scoring champ Roy Gerela.
- Was the Patriots’ Miller Man-of-the-Year Award winner in 1982.
- Scored a total of 692 career points as a kicker
- In his 10-year Patriots career, he totalled a 67% FG percentage and a 95.4% extra point percentage.
- Born in Leafield, England. Got his start on the gridiron after receiving a tryout from the Patriots in 1973 after showing his skills kicking a football as a visiting soccer instructor.
- Spent his offseasons as an account executive for the Seiler Corporation of Waltham, MA, a New England area food service contractor
- The first time he ever saw an American football game, he played in it at the age of 24.
- Based in a London Studio, he explained the basics of American Football to the English audience watching the Miami-Washington contest over the public-owned Channel 4.
- Served as the color commentator for the first-ever live Super Bowl (XVII) broadcast airing throughout his native Great Britain.