- T, #68
- Height: 6-6 Weight: 310
- Yrs/Pat: 8
- Acquired: D6b-94 (168th overall)
- School: U.S. Naval Academy
- Major: General Sciences
- Born: Feb 22, 1971 Norborne, Mo.
- Max Lane was drafted by the Patriots with their second of two picks in the sixth round (168th player selected) of the 1994 NFL draft … the selection was acquired from Seattle as compensation for the trade of RB Jon Vaughn (8/26/93) … signed by the Patriots June 1, 1994 … became a restricted free agent Feb. 14, 1997 and re-signed with the Patriots.
- 1998 Season: Played in all 16 games this season, starting 11 … Lane started the first 9 games at left guard and then started 2 games at right tackle vs. Miami (11/23) and vs. Buffalo (11/29) for Zefross Moss who was out with a knee injury.
- 1997 Season: started every game this season.
- 1996 Season: Started every game for the Patriots at right offensive tackle, including each of the Patriots’ playoff games … anchored the right side of an offensive line which only allowed 30 sacks all season and just one sack for every 21.9 pass plays (sixth in the NFL) … provided blocks for Curtis Martin, who eclipsed the 1,000-yard plateau for the second consecutive season … enabled Martin to rush for over 100 yards in games vs. Washington (10/13) and vs. Indianapolis (11/24) … recovered three offensive fumbles and registered three tackles on returns of Patriots turnovers.
- 1995 Season: Started every game for the Patriots at right offensive tackle in just his second NFL season … helped power a running game which amassed 1,866 yards … helped Martin to a franchise record-setting season with 1,487 yards rushing and 14 touchdowns … he was involved in one of the most unusual plays of the 1995 season at Kansas City (10/15) when he snared a Troy Brown fumble mid-air and rumbled 30 yards downfield to set up a Will Moore touchdown to bring the Patriots to within five points (26-31) in the final minutes of the game … the ball was caught in the air after Brown, who was lying on his back, attempted to kick the ball back to himself … the final result looked like a “hook and ladder” designed play.
- 1994 Season: Played in 14 games as a rookie … listed among the Patriots’ inactives in the first two games of the season at Miami (9/4) and vs. Buffalo (9/11) … played extensively on special teams units and was used as a tackle-eligible (tight end) in short-yardage situations throughout the season … saw action on special teams and on short-yardage plays in the Patriots’ playoff game at Cleveland (1/1/95).
- Played over 100 games, starting over 70 games.
- 1990’s All-Decade Team
- Started in SB XXXI
- Three-year starter at offensive tackle for Navy
- Finished his collegiate career with 32 consecutive starts
- Lined up as a fullback and scored on a four-yard run as the offense exploded for 465 total yards in a 31-3 victory over Colgate
- Shifted from left to right offensive tackle in 1992 …
- Moved into the starting lineup in the second game of the 1991 season at left tackle
- Spent the majority of the 1990 season on Navy’s junior varsity squad.
- Max Aaron Lane was born on Feb. 22, 1971 in Norborne, Mo.
- Selected all-state, all-conference and all-district as a tight end in his senior year at Norborne (Mo.) High School.
- Earned all-state recognition at offensive tackle as a junior.
- Added all-conference and all-district honors in basketball.
- Lettered as an offensive tackle at the Naval Academy Prep School.
- Majored in general science in the U.S. Naval Academy.
- Since retiring, Max has remained an active member of the NFLPA Retired Players, and worked in sales for Crown Mortgage. He worked closely with the Genesis Fund, raising money to aid research for tubular myopathy.
- He enjoys coaching young linemen at camps around New England.
- His hobbies include snow skiing and golf, but he’s also learning to play hockey.
Where Is He Now?
- As of 2021, Max lives in Newburyport, MA, is an Entrepreneur with Real Estate Sales and Development and a NFL Uniform Inspector
- He has two 2 kids, Alexis and Hunter. Alexis about to graduate from Bridgewater State University (Class of ’21) and attend Grad school there. Hunter is a freshman at Holy Cross and is playing TE on their football team.
- Max has also fought in a charity boxing match for Dana Farber in 2012, USA Boxing sanctioned.
- He has skated on Boston Bruins Alumni Hockey team in addition to being a part of several triathlons.