34 Robert Perryman RB
Height: 6’2 Weight: 233
Acquired: D-3, 1987 (79th)
Major: Sports Management/Communications
Born: Oct 16, 1964 Raleigh NC
- Robert Perryman was always a standout football player as a kid, but when he moved from Miami to Bourne, Mass., he went from a good player among good players to a great player comparatively.
- His play at Bourne High School on Cape Cod earned him the attention of college programs across the country, but his education was always priority No. 1 and that factored into his college decision.
- “Both my parents were teachers,” said Perryman. “School always came first; playing football was a privilege.”
- That being the case, Robert chose Michigan because their scholarship program guaranteed four years of college rather than four, one-year scholarships. There’s a big difference. If he wound up not playing football for whatever reason, he would still have his education.
- In addition, Robert was always thinking ahead towards the day when football would no longer be an option and Michigan had one of the best alumni networks in the country – an excellent resource when the time would come to find a job in the real world.
- Perryman was drafted in the third round of the 1987 draft by New England and played for three years. During that time, he was always thinking about the end of his playing days and what he would do with his life and that sometimes made him a nervous wreck. His background in Marketing Communications at Michigan helped Robert land a job for the office supply chain, Staples, in its marketing and advertising department.
- Football continues to be a huge part of Robert Perryman’s life. He held a position as the Regional Director for the NFL Junior Player Development Program before moving on to lead his own youth camps. He also continues his work on the field as an Assistant Coach for the IWFL’s Boston Militia, and spent two years as the Quaterback Coach at Merrimack College in North Andover, MA.
- Robert and his wife Sonya have two children Krista and Robert Jr.
- Games Played/Started: 1987 -9/1, 1988 -16/16, 1989 -16/14. Total: 41/31.
- Other Stats: Fumbles: 1987 -1, 1988 -4, 1989 -2. Kickoff Returns: 1987 -three for 43 yards.